This simple dish is a party pleaser! I can never seem to make enough of them!
They are easy to whip up and can be made gluten-free or even vegan if you omit the sausage and add extra apples. All the flavors of fall ring out in this bite-size appetizer! The best part is that you can keep extra stuffing for more mushrooms, or even try it with acorn squash for a whole additional meal!
*** AS SEEN ON WMUR Channel 9 COOK’S CORNER ***
- 12 or so large white mushrooms – stems removed
- 1 large apple, chopped
- ½ lb ground sausage meat
- ½ white onion, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Cucina Aurora Savory Sage Infused Olive Oil
- ½ cup bread crumbs (Gluten Free Bread Crumbs work well too!)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and sausage in olive oil until sausage is cooked through. Add apples to just soften.
- Combine hot mixture with breadcrumbs. By the teaspoon full, scoop mixture into mushrooms.
- Lay stuffed mushrooms (stuffing side up) in a baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees or until mushrooms are soft. Enjoy warm.