This simple dish is a party pleaser! I can never seem to make enough of them!
They are easy to whip up and can be made gluten free or even vegan if you omit the sausage and add extra apples. All the flavors of fall ring out in this bite size appetizer! Best part is that you can keep extra stuffing for more mushrooms, or even try it with acorn squash for a whole additional meal!
- 12 or so large white mushrooms – stems removed
- 1 large apple, chopped
- ½ lb ground sausage meat
- ½ white onion, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Cucina Aurora Savory Sage Infused Olive Oil
- ½ cup bread crumbs (Gluten Free Bread Crumbs work well too!)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and sausage in olive oil until sausage is cooked through. Add apples to just soften.
- Combine hot mixture with breadcrumbs. By the teaspoon full, scoop mixture into mushrooms.
- Lay stuffed mushrooms (stuffing side up) in a baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees or until mushrooms are soft. Enjoy warm.