In honor of my dad, Frank, I thought I might share one of his favorite recipes. Pasta Linticchie is a pasta with Lentils dish that was one of the first things Dad asked for when he got sick. He loved the savory onions and sage mixed with the protein packed lentils.
Sometimes I would even throw some sausage in there for him, if of course my mom was not looking! This hearty meal is quick and perfect for a cold autumn night. Lentils are legumes and like all beans bring prosperous energy to any meal. Combine this with your choice of pasta (even Gluten Free), a good sprinkle of sharp Romano or Asiago cheese, and a glass of red wine and you will have a new family favorite!
- 1 8-12oz package cooked lentils (you can find them at local health food stores like Trader Joes)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp Cucina Aurora Savory Sage Infused Olive Oil
- 2 pork sausage links crumbled (optional)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Sage
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 lb. dry linguine or penne pasta uncooked (Gluten Free Corn Pasta works well here)
- Fill a large sauce pot with water and bring to boil. Cook pasta to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat Olive Oil on high. Cook onions and garlic in oil until just tender, not brown.
- Add sausage (if using) and cook through.
- Add lentils, parsley, sage and salt and pepper. Reduce heat and add water. Simmer until water is evaporated and the lentils are slightly larger.
- Serve over warm pasta.
- Sprinkle with a healthy amount of Romano or Asiago cheese. Serve immediately and enjoy.