I sent this recipe around last year at this time and it got rave reviews. It is really easy and makes a lot, so there will be plenty of leftovers! This easy Ratatouille celebrates the best of early fall/late summer veggies. These ingredients should be in abundance at your farmers market right now. The ritual here is to take your time in choosing your veggies. Pick the ones that feel right to you.
As you chop the ingredients remember the powers these foods hold: Onion banishes negativity, Garlic protects, Zucchini is a food of the God, and Eggplant of the Goddess. While this dish cooks down in the oven, light an orange or yellow candle for joy and positive energy.
Now is the time of year to reap what we have sown. The Harvest season comes so we can prepare for the long winter months ahead. As you light your candle think on all the hard work you have done these past summer months and draw to you the good you deserve, should it be for the good of all.
- 1/2 cup Cucina Aurora Rosemary Olive Oil
- 2 onions cut into wedges
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 zucchini, cut into rounds
- 1 eggplant, cut into bite size cubes
- 1 summer squash or yellow zucchini
- 3 fresh tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 8oz can no salt added tomato sauce
- chopped fresh rosemary, sage and parsley to taste
- sea salt and coarse ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large sauce pan heat oil. Add the garlic and onions and cook about 5 min or until soft.
- Add zucchini, eggplant, and squash and cook until just tender, about 10-15 minutes or when vegetable start to sizzle.
- Add herbs and tomato sauce, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and transfer to oven safe casserole. Cover and bake in hot oven about 2 hours stirring occasionally so that the veggies do not burn.
- Serve on a slice of Italian bread sprinkled with grated Romano cheese, or serve over pasta for a primavera dish, or just eat along side your favorite meal!