Cold winter nights call for hot winter soups!
This traditional soup is made healthy with tons of veggies and savory turkey meatballs. With a meal like this you will never have to feel guilty about second helpings. It is packed with fiber rich beans, lean protein and tons of vitamins. Not to mention the heat from the crushed red pepper brings a very welcome fire and Sun energy into our homes as we brave the last of the winter snow storms!
Perfect Wine Pairing: Pinot Noir
- 2 TBSP Cucina Aurora Garlic or Hot Pepper Olive Oil
- 2 boxes (64oz) Chicken Broth
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups kale, finely chopped
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 8oz cans white kidney beans (Cannellini beans) DRAINED
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (gluten free or whole wheat)
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Crushed Red Pepper to taste *optional*
- In a large sauce pot heat olive oil. Add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook until just tender.
- Add cabbage, and kale. Continue to sauté until just wilted.
- Add broth, parsley, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Simmer on low heat.
- Meanwhile, make the meat balls: In a separate large skillet heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Combine ground turkey, bread crumbs, Romano cheese, and parsley.
- Form into small balls (no bigger than one inch diameter, and place in skillet. Cook evenly on each side until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Drop cooked meat balls into broth mixture. Add drained beans, and tomato paste. Let simmer at least 1 hour.
- Serve with crusty Italian bread or cook up some small pasta (bow ties or elbows) and add to soup just before serving. Top with extra grated Romano Cheese and Enjoy!