Thanksgiving is a time for family, friends and FOOD. We take time around the table to reflect and be grateful for all the amazing things we have in our lives, and when the day is done we feel full of happiness, gratitude, joy, and of course…WAY too much food. I am one of those people who simply loves leftovers, and the Thanksgiving holiday makes the best, and usually the most, leftovers of the year. This sandwich is a little bit of a twist on a traditional “leftover Turkey Sandwich.” With cranberry spread, caramelized onions and melted Swiss all grilled in savory Rosemary Olive Oil, you are going to look forward to the day after the feast as much as the feast itself!
As seen on WMUR’s Cooks Corner!
- Sliced left over turkey (or chicken)
- Caramelized onions (see note)
- 6 Slices crisp bacon
- Sliced Swiss Cheese
- Leftover stuffing
- Baby Spinach
- 4 Slices of hearty wheat bread (or Gluten Free Bread)
- 2 Tablespoons Cucina Aurora Rosemary Olive Oil
- Cranberry Dijon Spread (see note)
- Warm a large skillet on medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Brush bread slices with Rosemary Olive Oil and place in skillet oil side down.
- On each slice of bread, lay 1-2 slices of cheese.
- On 2 slices of bread, layer bacon, then spinach, then turkey.
- On the other two slices, layer a bit of stuffing and caramelized onions.
- When bread starts to toast and cheese starts to melt, build the sandwiches by flipping one slice of bread onto the other. Grill on each side of sandwich until both sides are light brown and sandwich is warmed through.
- Serve warm with Cranberry Dijon spread on the side.
NOTE *** To make Cranberry Dijon Spread combine 2 Tablespoons Dijon or Brown mustard, 2 Tablespoons Cranberry Sauce, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon mayo and a dash of Cucina Aurora Toasted Onion Dip Mix.
NOTE *** To Caramelize Onions, heat small skillet on high. Add 1 Tablespoon of your favorite Cucina Aurora Olive Oil. Cook onions on high heat until they wilt and turn slightly brown and stick to the pan slightly. (About 10-15 Minutes)