So, where does the magic come from in this dish? There are so many foods in this recipe where you will find a hint of magic. The Mushrooms are full of Fairie magic. Be sure to leave an offering of a mushroom or two if you want their help with this one!
The Wild Rice in this recipe is an abundance food. If you are making this for Mabon, why not celebrate the abundance of the Harvest with this food? Before spreading that layer of rice into the casserole dish, write what you are thankful for in the pan, just with your finger in the cooking spray.
Perhaps you are thankful for abundant Love and you wish to keep it strong, or you are thankful for good health or the fact that you are employed. Now is the time to be grateful for all of the Goddess’s Blessings!
- 2 cups organic chicken or veggie broth
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 lbs cooked chicken breast or thigh meat, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms (your favorite), sliced
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1/4 flour (or gluten free flour)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese (plus 1/4 cup for topping)
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup low fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (or 2 TBSP dried)
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen french cut string beans
- 1 cup frozen chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook broth and rice in medium sauce pan to rice package instructions (about 40-50 min). Meanwhile, melt 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil in large sauce pan.
- Add mushrooms and saute until just turning brown.
- Add Marsala wine and increase heat until most of the liquid has evaporated. Sprinkle in flour and stir to coat.
- Add milk, bring to a simmer stirring. Stir in Romano cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Remove from heat. Add chicken, string beans and broccoli to mushroom and milk mixture. Stir to coat.
- Spread a layer of rice into the bottom of prepared casserole dish. Pour the chicken and veggie mixture over the rice layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Romano cheese and almonds over the top and bake for 30 min (when the dish is bubbling and almonds are brown)
- Let stand at least 10 min before serving.