This is a twist on our old standby cheeseburger. My husband loves the savory, smoky flavor of the BBQ sauce grilled right into the burger. Enjoy these on your grill today and throughout the summer.
I’m not sure how we came up with calling them cowboy burgers but it seems appropriate. I prefer organic bison for these burgers. It is tender and mild with lots of healthful benefits, but you can use organic ground beef if that is easier to come by.
- 1 lb. ground beef or bison
- 1/2 cup all natural BBQ Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Cucina Aurora Toasted Onion Dip mix
- Pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large red onions, sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil (for caramelizing onions)
- Sliced white cheddar cheese
- Whole Wheat or Gluten Free Hamburger Buns
- In a large bowl knead together meat, BBQ Sauce, Onion Dip mix, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Form into 4 patties with your hands, about 1/4 lb. each.
- Set on a plate, cover and refrigerate until ready to grill (or freeze wrapped individually in wax paper for up to 2 months).
- In a large skillet heat olive oil. Add sliced onion cooking on medium-high heat until they start to brown but not burn. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Heat grill to high temperature. Grill burgers until desired temperature. Add one slice of cheese just before removing from heat.
- Layer the bottom side of a bun with lettuce and tomato then place the burger on top, and add onions. Top with sliced pickle and more BBQ sauce if desired. Enjoy immediately!