This pasta is one I make every Beltane. Its rich and riotous colors remind us of all the colors of Spring.
Although the wheat in the pasta connects us with Earth, and the cheese brings joyous and mothering energy, it is the vegetables in this lively salad that seem to be the stars. Broccoli has protective energy, but also its shape reminds us to connect with the mighty trees of Nature. Carrots are filled with sexual energy and great for Spring Fertility celebrations. Tomatoes bring with them love and attraction. However these ingredients may be perfect for Beltane, you can switch up the veggies to invoke the powers you want.
For example, to banish evil or negativity, add onions of any kind, or some add some asparagus for male virility!
- 1 lb. tri colored pasta (Tortellini is good or gluten-free spiral pasta)
- 1 head of broccoli (cut into pieces –florets only)
- 1 carrot sliced
- ½ red pepper diced
- 1 large tomato diced
- ½ cup pepperoni diced (optional)
- 1 brick mozzarella cheese cubed into bite size pieces
- 1 bottle Italian salad dressing (all natural such as Newman’s Own)
- Grated Romano cheese
- Cook pasta to package instructions.
- Put chopped broccoli, carrots, red pepper, tomato and pepperoni in a large bowl.
- Drain Pasta and put steaming hot pasta into the bowl with other ingredients.
- Pour in dressing, toss, cover and let sit for about 10 minutes or until cooled slightly.
- Toss again and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, toss in cubed mozzarella cheese and top with grated cheese.
- Serve alongside your favorite steak, chicken, fish or sandwiches, or serve as a light lunch on its own.